Tuesday, June 7, 2016

How To Catch A Hokage Photographer


     Photo by: http://www.shootfactory.co.uk/if-you-want-to-make-it-as-a-photographer/

Wow it's been quite a while since my last post and I'm sorry. I know I should be posting more often but with my work barely gives me enough time to sleep BUT for you guys, I will try and post regularly. Now, let's start.

With the wide availability of digital cameras any person can now buy a DSLR, take a bunch of photos and call himself a photographer. Personally, I don't have any problems with that considering that I started my passion quite the same way -- there was a sale on cameras in the mall, I bought one and the rest was history. However, what I want to talk about today is about those people who picks up a camera, poses themselves as photographers in order to get the ladies and take advantage of them. We call these photographers "HOKAGE".

Now, this topic is not something new in the industry that I am in but considering that I've seen a lot of these instances recently and known some models who got themselves in the same predicament I just want to share a few of my thoughts and tips to professional and aspiring models to counter the "Hāremu no Jutsu" attacks of these hokages.

If you are a model and you have been invited to a shoot, here are 10 red flags that you need to be wary of:

  1. When the photographer asks you for sexy even nude photos or selfies.
  2. When the photographer starts talking about anything sexual.
  3. When the photographer constantly texts/calls you with topics no longer related to the shoot.
  4. When the photographer insists that you be alone with him in a shoot for "privacy" reasons.
  5. When the photographer touches you unnecessarily without your permission during the shoot.
  6. When the photographer starts calling you pet names such as "babe", "love", "darling", etc.
  7. When the photographer gives you a vague description of the concept or just plainly describes it as "sexy shoot" or "glamour shoot"
  8. When the photographer is more concerned of having a selfie with you rather than doing the actual shoot
  9. When during the shoot the photographer leads you to remove pieces of your clothing without proper setting of expectations.
  10. When the photographer doesn't have a legitimate portfolio.
Here are 5 tips to make sure that you will have a fun and professional experience in your shoots:
  1. Ask for specific details about the shoot such as the concept, the venue or location, who the make-up artist and/or stylist is and how much the talent fee is.
  2. If the photographer is someone you barely know, insist in bringing a companion someone you can trust and be comfortable with during the shoot.
  3. A professional photographer knows that it's a definite NO to touch models during the shoot. If you need adjustment with your pose, wardrobe, make-up, or hair, ask the Make-Up artist or stylist to help you with it.
  4. Don't be afraid to speak out if there's something that you are not comfortable with.
  5. Ask your photographer for his portfolio. Save on of his photos in you PC or smartphone and search it in Google Images to check if the photo is truly the photographer's work.
I hope that you've learned something in this entry and if you have any more red flags or tips please share it to us in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment