Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Clamshell Lighting: You Make Do With What You Have

"Clamshell lighting is when the photographer uses two frontal light sources to illuminate the subject, helping to minimize shadows and often giving a glowing effect. Though usually achieved by using studio strobes, it can also be achieved using constant studio lights. Think of your two light sources as the shells, and your subject is the happy clam in the middle." - http://layersmagazine.com/

I have only been using the Clamshell lighting setup for head shots but lately I have been using it for all kinds of shoot as well. What I like about this lighting setup is the quality of light that it gives out which is flattering to the model giving him/her a youthful appearance (which they love!). 

A simple Clamshell lighting set-up is achieve by placing a main key light above the lens, centered over your camera and placing a lower fill light, directly under your lens, centered below camera. The gap, or “window” between the two modifiers, should just be large enough to fit your lens’ angle-of-view through the opening, while still being able to frame your subject. The main light and fill light can be two umbrellas, two softboxes, one umbrella and a softbox, or one umbrella or softbox and a reflector.


Personally, I'm using the Umbrella-Softbox combination since I just make do of what I have. I'm also using two Yongnuo hotshoe flashes triggered by Yongnuo RF-603Ns. The key to a good Clamshell Lighting setup is determining the perfect output ratio of your key and fill light. I normally start off with a half power on my key light and a quarter power on my fill light but you can play around with this setting depending on your taste. My usual camera settings on my Nikon D7000 for head shots are ISO 100, f/2-2.8, 1/200 sec at 50mm and for all other shots it usually is at ISO 100-200, f/5.6-6.3, 1/200sec still at 50mm.

Here are some of the shots I've taken with this lighting setup:










For more photos, please visit my Facebook page by clicking the link HERE and don't forget to LIKE! :) I hope you've learned something about today's entry and if you have your own Clamshell Lighting setup please share them on the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment